Diagnosing "Request timed out" HttpExceptions
Here on StackOverflow, we’re seeing a few “Request timed out” exceptions every day.
- Request timeout is the default 90 seconds
- Occurs only on POSTs
- Data posted is text, usually small (< 1KB), but can range to a few KB
- No Form data is captured in server variables
- Client UAs are diverse: IE5.5 – 7, Firefox 3.0.5, iPhone, Chrome
- Client locations are diverse: UK, France, USA – NC, OH, NE, IN
We’ve tested a server-based timeout (i.e. using Thread.Sleep) and all form variables are correctly captured in the exception log – this leads us to believe the client is having issues sending the request in the allotted time.
Any thoughts on how to trap/debug this condition are very welcome!